Monday, January 14, 2008

Change

I went to a workshop last night on change. Here's what I came away with:

1. I hate change. Period. I have never liked it. It makes me uncomfortable and stresses me out. I try to avoid it as much as possible; except for the occasional moving around of furniture. But I know I need change. I need it because it allows me to seek the Lord and put all my trust in Him. So, I guess in a way I am thankful for change.

2. I was thinking about all the changes in my life that are here or coming. I need to make sure that my reaction is not a poor acceptance of change. This was very convicting to me because I am such a people pleaser and I don't want to make waves. I tend to say, "I don't like it and I don't think it will work, but I'll go along with it" and "But if so-and-so is for it, it much be ok." So, how do I get out of this mind set? I was asking God this question as I was driving home and the song, Change My Heart, Oh God came to mind. The song goes like this:

Change my heart oh God
Make it ever true
Change my heart oh God
May I be like You
You are the potter
I am the clay
Mold me and make me
This is what I pray
Change my heart oh God
Make it ever true
Change my heart oh God
May I be like You
I was struck with the fact that I have to change first. I need to allow the Lord to change my heart and be open to change before I can accept change.
3. Having feelings about change are not right or wrong. It's okay to have feelings and that we can not and should not be judged by those feelings. That is freeing for me. I can express my feelings about the change and then ask the Lord to help me deal with them.
4. In the changes that are coming with MOPS, I want to make sure that the vision of MOPS is reborn and can continue to serve more moms. I don't want this ministry to die. We could get to that point if the new leadership doesn't have a vision and can implement it.
5. I was challenged last night. As I look at the changes coming: stepping down in MOPS leadership, saying goodbye to a dear friend, potty training a special needs child, starting again with small group, I need to remember that it's a heart change first. I need to be focused on the Lord and in the Word.
Change is a good thing. Thank you Lord for changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When are we getting together to talk/pray about MOPS?