Friday, January 25, 2008

squished banana in my pocket

When I picked up Jarod this afternoon from school, he informed me that he needed to tell me something. I said, "Okay, what is it?" I, of course, was expecting something serious or something about one of his classmates. What I got was: "I have a squished banana in my pocket." I asked him to repeat himself because I know that I didn't hear him right. "I have a squished banana in my pants pocket." "Why do you have a squished banana in your pocket?" I asked. He told me that he didn't eat much at lunch and the cafeteria lady asked him if he wanted to save his banana for later. He said he did. Well, I still couldn't figure out why a banana was in his pocket., especially since they eat lunch at 11:30. So, I asked again, "Why do you have a squished banana in you pocket?" "I didn't have time to eat it," he told me. By this time, I was starting to get the giggles. I thought, "My son has been walking around school with a banana in his pocket all afternoon. That is so gross!" Then Jarod told me that he needed to change his pants when he got home. My mind was going crazy: Was he dripping banana? Did he smell of banana? What was he thinking?

When we got home he told me that he actually threw away the banana in gym class, but that there was squished banana in his pocket. "But I wrapped it in a paper towel, mom!" he said. I was still pretty confused. So, he changed his pants in the laundry room and I very carefully picked up his pants. I wasn't sure what I would find in his pant's pocket. All that was there was a wadded up paper towel with just a smidgen of squished banana. So, he probably had just a couple of bites left and wrapped it up in a paper towel to keep it "safe".

So, I guess the moral of this story is never, ever put leftover banana in your pocket. It could get squished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I finally read the whole story. Thankfully it wasn't the whole banana! :) Have a good day today!