Friday, April 15, 2011

Step by step

I was trying to explain to my hairdresser the other day why it is difficult for Andrew to follow directions. It's not that he doesn't hear me or that he is being disobedient when he doesn't do what I ask him to do, it's that he doesn't understand fully what is being asked. There is a disconnect in his brain. Every task needs to be broken down into very simple and direct actions.
For example, if I say to Andrew, "Andrew, go over to the couch, pick up your things and bring them to mommy", he has to first figure out where he has to go. The couch. Which couch? Okay, I have to go to the couch in the tv room. Now, what things am I supposed to pick up. This or that? It's like Andrew's brain is on constant overload, just trying to sort out and filter what he is hearing. It's always a battle to get him to follow directions. But, we are getting better at giving him simple commands and Andrew is getting better at listening to exactly what he needs to do. Step by step; little by little we are seeing him grow. How exciting!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Exciting indeed! And you are so wise to see how to accommodate Andrew's style!