Tuesday, December 4, 2007

highly favored

Last night at MOPS I shared from a book called, The Journey of a Mother's Heart by Glenda Malmin. Here's what I shared:

Tonight we are in the kid's room where our children sleep and dream. It's where they play and grow. My kids rooms have changed over the years from a nursery to a somewhat smelly and messy big kids room.

Getting ready for my first baby was emotional for me. I was filled with joy, but scared to death and I really had no clue what I was doing or what was going to happen. I imagine that Mary felt the same way. She was engaged to Joseph getting ready for the wedding when she heard an angel say, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you." What must Mary have been thinking? Maybe something like this:

Yes, sir? You have a message from the Lord for me? He says I'm highly favored?
Who, me? You're making me a little nervouse here. Yes, I know He's with me... He wants me to what? To have a baby! Well, the Lord knows I want to ... every young bride does. All in due time, of course.
I have to admit I'm a little concerned about my abilities. I'm not so sure I'll be a very good ... What? How could I possibly have a bab-? Well, yes, I know at times I can be inquisitive when I should be contemplative, but my mother always told me this mothering thing is a big deal to God. You know, it's a high calling as well as a privilege from the Father above.
How could I possibly...how could it be ...after all, I'm so young and inexperienced. highly favored, you say? I'll have to think about that one.
(pg. 17)
Did you feel like Mary? Did you feel unprepared for what lies ahead? Mary realized though that she was highly favored. We are also highly favored. Favored means: prefered above all others and treated or thought of with great kindness. Isn't that cool, that God chose Mary above every other woman be carry Jesus and tath he chose you above all other to carry your child? He favored you! Once I realized that I was favored by God for myu children - I knew that he would give me what I needed ot reaise my boys - just like God did for Mary.
one way that God helped Mary was in her cousin Elizabeth. Mary went to visit Elizabeth who also pregnant after being barren for years. Can you imagine that conversation when Mary arrived? There was probably a lot of hugging and crying and giggling. It says in Luke that when Elizabeth heard Marys' greeting, her baby leaped within her. Even the babies were excited. Elizabeth was an encouragement to MAry. She gave Mary blessings and Mary stayed with her for 3 months. Was there someone in your life that encouraged you as you began your journey of motherhood? I sure did.
One was my best friend Pamela. She and I were pregnant together; her with her second and I with my first. It was wonderful to tlak to her and seek her advice. She even drove me to the hospital days after her baby was born so I could get some help with nursing.
Another Elizabeth in my life was the nursering group at Lutheran. There was a group of women there that encouraged me while I nursed. I think I would have given up way too soon, if I had not have met them.
And finally, MOPS was an Elizabeth to me as well, especially with my second child. We want to encourage you in your jouney as moms. If you don't have an Elizabeth, in your life, I encourage you to ask God to bring you one. We all need encouragement!
After Mary visited with Elizabeth, she and Jsoeph made along journey to Bethlehem. What was that like to be very pregnant and have ot travel by donkey and walk such a long distance. It probably was not that much fun.
Then Mary gave birth. Jesus' nursery was nothing like ours. It was probably cold, dark, and damp. The manger was most likely filled with hay and smelled bad.
Tose first few days after birth are filled with joy and telling everyone you know about the birth. I had so many hopes and dreams for my children and I still do. I hope that they become responsible citizens, have family, do well in school and to know God. But MAry's hopes were different. Jesus was born to give us hope. He was born so we could have eternal life through faith in him.
Mary's journey of motherhood was not that different than yours and mine. She had emotions, hopes and dreams, morning sickness, labor pains and having to potty train. The only difference was that she gave birth to hope - a hope for you and me.
As you look in on your children tonight in their nusery or room, I hope that your dream for them is to also know the hope that Jesus can bring.

No comments: